Hello Everyone! Two days ago I shared a post on my Instagram for an open collaboration that me and two of my foodie friends organised and hosted. It was for National Pack Your Lunch Day (March 10) and out of the three main components that made up my lunchbox, one of them was this Mediterranean Baked Fish.
This recipe is loaded with fresh Mediterranean, Greek flavours of olive oil, lemon, and capers. This combination enhances the flavour of the fish, while still allowing it to shine through as the star! Feel free to switch up the kind of fish that’s not only suitable to your liking, but what’s also fresh and available locally. Choose white fish that’s mild in flavour such as cod, haddock, striped bass, mahi-mahi, or grouper fish. I went with tilapia as that’s what’s affordable and readily available here in the Philippines.
When it comes to baking fish, you don’t want to over cook it. As soon as the fish starts to flake easily, it’s done! For me, it took between 10 to 12 minutes for my fish to turn out perfect, but there are several factors that can differ the cooking time. For example, everyone’s oven cooks differently. Everyone’s fish fillet may be of a different size, shape, or thickness, and everyone’s baking dish heats up differently. Use your gut feeling when it comes to baking time here!
PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOKING TIME 10-12 MINS | SERVES 4
- 500g tilapia fillets (skinless and boneless)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Lemon slices
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 218C (425F or gas mark 7) and grease a baking dish with a bit of olive oil or butter.
- Place the tilapia fillets in the basking dish and rub all the ingredients into the fish, making sure to coat them all. Arrange the fillets in the baking dish and top with the lemon slices. Set aside for about 15 minutes for the spices to infuse into the fish.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with more freshly chopped basil and serve with a warm salad or seasonal greens. Enjoy!
– Ally xx
Follow me on my social media accounts:
Facebook: Amcarmen’s Kitchen