The most wonderful thing about life when it comes to food is breakfast. I always look forward to breakfast, but I think 90% of the time I actually go without having a proper breakfast, or no breakfast at all – which does sadden me a bit. This is either because I get up too late for breakfast and just skip to brunch, or when I do get up early, I’m rushing off to Uni and usually grab a banana or whatever fruit I have lying around on my way out (which also rarely happens so I just end up waiting until class is over and then packed left-over lunch it is).
What makes me happy though is that I can have Breakfast for Lunch or Breakfast for Dinner. Breakfast all day everyday (please excuse my apparent over-excitement over breakfast). Today, I had my breakfast for lunch, and man it was so good. Who doesn’t love bacon and eggs for lunch?
PREP TIME 5 MINS | COOKING TIME 10-15 MINS | SERVES 1
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread, toasted, buttered & cut diagonally in half
- 2 slices of gourmet tomatoes, grilled
- 2 fresh free range eggs at room temperature, poached
- 3 slices of rindless bacon, grilled
- Handful of loose leaf baby spinach, wilted
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Knob of unsalted butter
- Ground salt and pepper to taste
Poaching the eggs:
- Bring small saucepan of water to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low-medium – the water should be just simmering. Add in the vinegar and stir.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl and quickly, but gently pour it into the water. Repeat with the other egg. A really soft poached egg should take around 2 minutes, but if you want it a bit more firm, it will take about 4 minutes. To check if they’re cooked right, carefully remove the egg from the pan with a slotted spoon and give the yolk a gentle push (you can tell just by your instincts if it is under or overcooked – or perfect)!
I honestly think that the rest is pretty self-explanatory.
– Ally xx