Hello Everyone! So I think I mentioned that last week was supposed to be Muffin Making Monday, but because I was still travelling the outback, scaling one of the best climbs from that trip, and ever, at Kings Canyon. I do apologise if I happen to bring this up in every single post for the next couple of weeks – I just can’t get over such an amazing trip!
Anyway, so technically Jialing and I had our Muffin Making Monday… on a Sunday. Jialing got called into work just for this Monday, but we still didn’t want to miss out on muffins as to quote Jialing “I didn’t have breakfast for the past two weeks” *insert sad face emoji*. So we then decided to bake on Sunday instead! Jialing again whipped up her Raspberry & White Chocolate with Lemon Streusel Muffins (she actually wanted to do a mixed berry one this time, but gutted that Coles ran out of them when we went to do our groceries together). And as the heading of this post states, I made Citrus Poppyseed Muffins, which Jialing actually made before and tasted so good that I wanted to make them for myself this time around. Please check out the original recipe over on Sally’s Baking Addiction. The original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of poppyseeds, but because I used what Jialing had leftover from last time. I think I only had about a tablespoon for these so they aren’t quite as evident in the photographs.
Poppyseed fun fact: It takes 2,000,000 of these tiny black polka dots to equal one kilo.
PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOKING TIME 15-18 MINS | MAKES 12 MUFFINS
- 2 & 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup Greek or regular yoghurt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 115g salted butter, melted
- 2 large free range eggs
- Juice and zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
- Juice and zest of 1 large orange
- 3 tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 220C. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Whisk the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, poppyseeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, and orange zest together thoroughly mixed. Then, whisk in the eggs one at a time, and then whisk in the yoghurt and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix together until no pockets of flour remain. Be careful as to not over mix the batter. The consistency of the batter should be quite thick.
- Spoon the thick batter into the muffin cups, filling them all the way to the top and sprinkle each with additional lemon and orange zest as well as coarse sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes at 220C. Then, reduce oven temperature to 190C and continue to bake for 10-13 minutes longer or until tops are lightly golden. To check if they are done, insert a toothpick in the centre of the muffin. If it’s cooked through, the toothpick should come out clean, if not then bake further at 2-3 minute intervals (as to not accidentally over bake them).
- Once done, remove from the over and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
– Ally xx
6 thoughts on “Breakfast Muffins: Citrus Poppyseed”
They look great. Simple too. If I can only track down poppy seeds 😦
Hi Janey! These are definitely easy to make, no need to bring out the electric mixer for this! I know what you mean, the struggle is real when it comes to finding poppy seeds! Hope you find some, otherwise I think the recipe will still work without them 🙂
Those look delicious! An excellent – if slightly naughty – start to the day.
Naughty is the best way to start the day!
I love your recipe posts! They always look so delicious and the pictures are gorgeous ❤
Thank you Arielle! 🙂 ❤