Hello Everyone! Diandra here. Just another third culture foodie.
A few months ago, I delved into the weird side of Youtube and somehow ended up watching a documentary about the cruelness of pig farming at three in the morning. From there, I watched a famous vegan Mukbang star, Mommy Tang, who talked about how she became vegan and how a plant-based diet has helped her lose weight, overall positively affecting her health. Intrigued by the idea of veganism, I watched more and more documentaries on the negative impact of animal farming on the environment and animal products on our health.
Mind-blown by the influx of information, I decided to cut down my consumption of animal byproducts overnight. Mind you, I was that girl who ate meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I LOVE MEAT. But, after educating myself on the many issues that come with consuming meat and other animal byproducts, I simply couldn’t live with myself if I continue eating meat mindlessly for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Could I let go of meat and dairy completely? No. Not right now. But maybe one day. However, currently I have drastically cut down my consumption of animal byproducts to the point where I eat a plant-based diet 6 days out of the week. I give myself one cheat day. Still, not bad for a girl who was pretty much a full-time carnivore.
I always encourage others to try and lessen their consumption of animal byproducts. You don’t have to give it up completely, but at least lessen. The secret of eating a plant-based diet without passing out halfway through the day is to fuel yourself with CARBS. This Quinoa Black Bean Taco recipe is the perfect filling and delicious vegan meal. Oh and it’s extremely high in protein 😉 Yes, you can find lots of protein in plants too, not just in meat! Hope you like it!
PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOKING TIME 10 MINS | SERVES 3-4
- 2 cups Superlife Co. mixed quinoa, cooked
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Taco Seasoning
- Taco Shells
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt-free Mexican seasoning blend
- Dice the tomatoes, onion and bell pepper. Mince the garlic.
- Add olive oil, garlic and onion into a heated pan. Sauté until the onions and garlic are nice and golden.
- Add the bell peppers and frozen corn, and continue sautéing until the peppers are soft and the corn is defrosted.
- Add the cooked quinoa into the pan, sprinkle in the taco seasoning and mix everything together.
- Taste the quinoa/black bean mixture. If you would like additional spice and seasoning, add in the cayenne pepper and Mexican blend seasoning. Note: Taco seasoning is normally already pretty salty, so additional salt is not necessary.
- Turn down the heat and add the tomatoes into the pan. Mix everything together.
- ASSEMBLING THE TACO: Take a warm taco shell and line the bottom with some spinach leaves.
- Add the quinoa/black bean mix into the taco shell.
- Lastly, top the taco off with some jalapeños and voila!
Recipe Copyright © 2016 | diandracappelut // saladhunter.sg
Eat them all up! 😉
One thought on “Quinoa Black Bean Tacos”
[…] Quinoa Black Bean Tacos by Diandra Cappelut, ‘Yes Ve Gan!’ Auguest 2016. […]