Hello Everyone! Today is the day! Today is the day that certifies that I am no longer a student, and I am officially unemployed! Today is the day that I receive a piece of paper worth AUD$110,000 of tuition fees to say that I have completed my 4-year Bachelor of Design degree! Today is Graduation Day!
It’s supposed to rain today – great. I have the last time slot which means that instead of a nice sunny graduation day, it’s gonna be dark and cold, if the rain decides to dawn upon my ceremony. Yesterday I kept sneezing, and I know that when that starts to happen, a fever, and eventually a cough and sore throat will follow. Not much luck today as far as I can see, and it’s only 8:45 in the morning as I am writing this paragraph. The good news is, I feel fine so at least I can stop worrying about getting sick – I just hope that the sun pops out for a while, while it’s still bright out in the afternoon before my ceremony at 6:30pm.
So anyway, it actually stopped raining when I arrived on campus at around 4:15pm – praise the Lord! The cloud didn’t clear up so it was still grey and gloomy. Oh well, at least we weren’t wet from the rain. It got dark really quick though and therefore photos were not as great 😦 All in all, a fun evening seeing friends, and graduating with fellow design mates; a little nerve-wrecking as I kept thinking that I was going to be THAT ONE student who would trip and fall flat on my face. Thank God I didn’t, and neither did anyone else who graduated tonight.
I picked to bake tonight’s recipe mainly because of the colours that represent the University of New South Wales, which is Black and Yellow/Gold. Enjoy!
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 1/2 cup milk
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Zest of one large lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C or gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Whisk the plain flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant.
- Using a hand-held electrical mixer, beat the butter and sugar mixture together until light and fluffy, and lightened in colour (about 8 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula in between mixing.
- Add the eggs one at at time, beating after each addition. Then add in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until the flour is just incorporated and be careful as to not over mix the batter. Mix in the lemon juice.
- Divide batter evenly in prepared cupcake liners, filling each case 2/3 of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled down, using a knife, cut out a small hole in the centre of the cupcake, about the size of a dime. Carefully remove the centre piece and set aside.
- Fill each hole with about 1 teaspoon of lemon curd and dust with a bit of icing sugar.
- Share with family and friends, and enjoy!
– Ally xx