Hello Everyone! This will be the last Burmese recipe that I will be sharing on our Flavours of Southeast Asia journey throughMyanmar for the month of September. Next week we’ll be heading off to one of the remaining three Southeast Asian countries I have yet to cover for the year.
The recipe that I will be sharing tonight is a build on of the recipe for Tohu (Burmese Chickpea Tofu) that I shared last week. We’ll be turning the tohu into a delicious salad known as Tohu Thoke, or in English, Chickpea Tofu Salad. Ever since coming across this recipe, I’ve already made this salad three times this month – yes it’s THAT addicting! Not only does it taste oh-so good, it’s also very easy to put together which makes it ideal for a quick weeknight dinner, provided that you’ve made the chickpea tofu in batches and ahead of time. This salad is also perfect for vegetarians, vegans, and Meatless Mondays.
Tohu Thoke is bright, tangy, refreshing, and meant to be eaten cold, therefore perfect for those hot summer days. By mixing both fresh and fried tohu together, you get creamy, silky-smooth, and crispy textures altogether. If you don’t fancy frying, then feel free to skip it. It’s nevertheless delicious with or without the fried aspect or not. Also, the triangle shape for the fried tofu pieces isn’t necessary; cut them into whatever shape you want; same goes for the fresh ones too.
The great thing about this salad is that it gives you the chance to get creative with it. As long as you keep the sour flavours of the tamarind dressing and balance with a hint of sweetness and heat (which is essential to Burmese cuisine), you can bulk up the salad with other vegetables or leafy greens to make it more substantial and a full meal on its own.
PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOKING TIME 10 MINS | SERVES 4
For the tamarind dressing
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 stalk scallion (white part), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
For the tohu thoke
- 1 recipe for Tohu (Burmese Chickpea Tofu), fresh and fried pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely minced
- Handful of bean sprouts, blanched
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Crispy shallots or garlic
- Roasted peanuts, crushed
- Scallions (green part), thinly sliced
- Dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix and adjust the dressing to your taste. Set aside. Extra dressing can keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
- Tohu Thoke: Add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add the tamarind dressing, about a quarter cup for this recipe, and gently toss everything together.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the garnishes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
– Ally xx