Hello Everyone! I can’t believe the month is going by in the blink of an eye! It’s already the third week of Cooking with Quinoa and I’ve got another colourful recipe to share with y’all. I’ll keep tonight’s post short as I’ve got nothing much to tell really – other than the fact that it was a slow day at work today, and has been for the second half of last week up until today. Tomorrow may be another slow day and I guess it will be like this for a while until another event creeps up on me. Even though there’s not much to do, I’m still slowly preparing the things that I need to deliver for January’s event so that I won’t find myself stressing out and doing things last minute a month before the event. At least I can enjoy my Christmas and New Years when it comes.
All that aside, if you’re obsessed with fresh fruit, then this is a dish you’d want to whip up as an easy pre and/or post workout meal. This salad is also very versatile in a sense that you can easily mix and match fruit combinations depending on what you like and what fruits are in season. The original recipe can be found over on The Recipe Critic: Tried and True.
PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOKING TIME 15 MINS | SERVES 4-6
For the salad
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tri-colour quinoa, uncooked
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 punnet (125g) blueberries
- 1 punnet (125g) strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
For the honey lime glaze
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Rinse the quinoa before combining it with 2 cups of room temperature water in a medium-sized pot. Turn the heat up to high and bring the quinoa to a boil. Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and then set aside to cool. Note: Quinoa holds lots of water, so you have to make sure you drain it thoroughly after it’s cooked.
- Meanwhile, combine the honey and lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add all the fruits into a large mixing bowl together with the cooked and cool quinoa. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish with the spinach leaves and then drizzled with the honey lime glaze. Serve as a healthy morning or afternoon snack, pre or post gym workout. Enjoy!
– Ally xx